I think we've all managed to get into the school theme of things...sort of...I still can't believe I'm waking up at 6:2o every morning! That gives me time for devotions, practicing piano, breakfast, and then I start schoolwork at around 7:45. I like it 'cause by lunchtime, I pretty much have all my major subjects done and over with, except Math. I just did a Church History test and I'm studying for a Biology test.
Lydia wakes up the same time as I do, is on the bus at 7:30, but doesn't start 'till quarter after nine! ;) And she's got homework galore. It does seem different without her being here all day.
It's still quite warm out. Last week was really cold. It went down to 4 degrees Celsius on Friday night! Dad's probably going to close up the pool pretty soon.
Anyway, the real reason I posted was because I wanted to show you an excerpt from my devotional - "Evening by Evening" by Charles Spurgeon- (thanx Karen!) It's so humbling. (Yes, the English is a little outdated):
"Some things in nature must remain a mystery to the most intelligent and enterprising investigators. Human knowledge has bounds beyond which it cannot pass. Universal knowledge is for God alone. If this is the case in regard to things that are seen and temporal, I may rest assured that it is even more the case in spiritual and eternal matters. Why, then, have I been torturing my mind with speculations about destiny and will, predestination, and human responsibility? I am no more able to comprehend these deep and mysterious truths than I am to plumb the depths that lie beneath, from which the old ocean draws her watery stores. Why am I so curious to know the reasons for my Lord's providences, the motives of His actions, the purposes of His visitations? Will I ever be able to clasp the sun in my fist and hold the universe in my palm? Yet these things are as a drop in the bucket compared to what the Lord my God is able to do. Let me not strive to understand the infinite, but rather spend my strength in love. What I cannot gain by intellect, I can possess by affection. Let that satisfy me. I cannot penetrate the heart of the sea, but I can enjoy the healthful breezes that sweep over its surface, and I can sail over its blue waves, if I have favorable winds. If I could enter "the springs of the sea," the feat would serve no useful purpose either for me or for others"..."My solving deep mysteries would not profit me a single bit. The least love for God, and the simplest act of obedience to Him, are better than the most profound knowledge. My Lord, I leave the infinite to You. "
So true.
P.S. Still dreamin' of Tamarack...
Thanks so much for sharing that Rachael! A few things came to mind as I read it...
ReplyDelete"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD,'For as the heavens are higher that the earth so are My ways higher thatn your ways and my thoughts than your thooughs." Isaiah 55;8-9
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law." Deut.29;29
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high I cannot atain it." Psalm 139:6
"God's love is a mystery, that He loved the human race who hated Him. Man spat God in the face in the garden of Eden,(so to speak) but He so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." - My notes from a recent sermon by Rev.K
"Upon that cross of Jesus mine eye at times can see, The very dying form or One Who suffered there for me; And from my smitten heart with tears, Two wonders I confess: the wonders of His glorious love And my unworthiness." -vs 2 of "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" Do you know that song? It's really pretty...
Thanx for those verses! Ps. 139 is one of my favorites. I have heard of that hymn before...maybe I'll look it up!
ReplyDelete